Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How to make cinnamon toast.

When I was a little girl, I would often spend the night with my beloved grandmother. She treated me like a total princess and frequently made me cinnamon toast and served it on a tray, in bed. Scrambled eggs and freshly squeezed orange juice rounded out my meal.

My grandmother is long gone, but I now make the same cinnamon toast for my husband and little girls. And they love it. Here's my grandmother's recipe and how I've adapted it.

I'm sure my grandmother used white bread, but we only buy whole wheat bread. So that's what I use. You also need about half a cup of sugar, several tablespoons of cinnamon, butter or margarine and a paper towel.

Toast your bread. I like mine a little crisp on top, but not burned.

While the bread is toasting, pour half a cup of sugar on a paper towel.

Then I add about three tablespoons of cinnamon. Or more. I do not think there is such a thing as too much cinnamon.

Pull the sides of the paper towel up and down to mix the cinnamon and sugar together. Or use a spoon to mix.

I'm sure my grandmother used real, whole butter. I've found that any butter or margarine that's spreadable does the trick, with no loss of flavor.

Slather the toast with butter. And I mean slather. Right to the edges. I stack the toast after buttering to keep it warm.

Now. Here's the good part. Grind the toast, butter side down, into the cinnamon sugar mixture. If you've buttered well, the toast will be coated.

Stack the toast.

And cut into thirds. Because this is what my grandmother did.

Stack the toast in sets of two. Enjoy.

This recipe makes more than enough cinnamon sugar for a dozen pieces of toast. Do you have a variation on cinnamon toast? Post in the comments.

1 comment:

Drama Queen said...

Thanks Marci, for this simple recipe. I will try it for breakfast today.